Wednesday, March 7, 2012

This -vs-That and a box of Tagalongs

I learn a lot about middle school kids when I secretly listen in on their conversations.  After testing, I allow my kids to have "talk time".  I noticed four dynamics as they began to migrate to different parts of the room.  It looked like this:

boys -vs- girls
new kids -vs- old kids
groups -vs- loners

One boy went over by a group of girls, and attempted to give them a "pound".  The girls looked at him as if he had horns growing out of his head.  I then noticed that all of the new girls were in a group.  All of the new boys were in a group.  All of the old boys were in a group, and all of the old girls were in a group.  There were maybe three students sitting and working alone.  Of all the groups, I was more concerned with the "new -vs- old".  I was wondering how they were feeling.  They were laughing and talking, but I wondered if this was a natural occurrence.  I've been the new girl before, and it can be pretty uncomfortable.  I immediately started to think about how do I merge the two groups.  Are they getting along?  Do they have anything in common?  I questioned so many thing as I saw these "groups" interact.  

As a teacher, I have to do a better job of helping new students feel about of our community.  I thought I did, but from observing those groups, I realized I didn't do a good enough job.  I'm going to talk to the new kids tomorrow and ask them if they are making friends.  I just want to get a feel on how they are feeling and adapting to being in a new learning environment.  Ever been new on a job, and hoped somebody asked you to lunch? I have.  I'm not as popular as you may think....



Speaking of lunch....I ate an undisclosed amount of tagalongs!!!  

I didn't bring any work home!! I actually read after blogging yesterday, and finished a book!  I purchased "Writing Children's Books for Dummies", by Lisa Rojany Buccieri.   This "For Dummies" franchise is really "blowing up".... I wonder if they have a "Locking your Blackberry for Dummies"....

Educationally yours,
T.W.T  

No comments:

Post a Comment